A motorcycle on the road with the words, uninsured and underinsured motorist accident.

Car accidents can happen anywhere and to anyone. When you are in an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, you may be scrambling trying to figure out your options to cover damages for your car and medical expenses for any injuries you sustained. Here are a few options available to drivers who were involved in an uninsured and underinsured motorist accident.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists

Texas law requires all drivers to have car insurance. Unfortunately, this doesn’t stop individuals who are uninsured from driving on the road, which is why most insurance companies insist that their policyholders invest in uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects you when you are involved in an accident where the other driver, who did not have adequate or any insurance, is found to be at fault for the accident. It helps you cover the costs of damages and injuries, ensuring that you are not the one footing the cost of the accident.

  • Uninsured motorist coverage will cover up to the limit of your claim for damages and medical expenses that were a result of an accident.
  • Underinsured motorist coverage will help offset what the other driver’s insurance cannot cover, ensuring that you are getting the aid you need to repair the damages to your car and receive proper medical treatment.

Making a Claim

When it comes to this type of insurance, it is important to remember that you will need to report the claim for uninsured or underinsured motorists soon after the accident. Most companies have a limit of 30 days for their drivers to make a claim, but this can vary from company to company. However, insurance policies vary and may have different requirements.

What Is Considered Adequate Insurance in the State of Texas?

Texas State Law states that Texas drivers need to have minimum insurance coverage of $30,000 per injured person and at least $60,000 per accident. Drivers are also required to have property damage coverage for at least $25,000.

What About Collision Coverage?

Many drivers may opt to choose collision coverage instead of uninsured or underinsured car insurance. While this is a viable option, collision coverage will not cover any medical expenses for injuries that result from the accident. Collision coverage only covers damages to your vehicle after an uninsured motorist accident or a hit-and-run accident up to the limit of the policy.

It is always important to speak with your insurance company to find the best options for your coverage. Doing so can ensure that you are protected no matter what kind of accident you are in.

Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit

If you have been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, contact the team at Hernandez Law Group, P.C. Our team can help you cover medical expenses and damages by ensuring you get the compensation you deserve. Don’t allow another driver to steal the joy of your life away by leaving you with accumulating debt from trying to cover expenses that would not have been there had they been acting with proper care.

Hernandez Law Group, P.C. is full of talented and passionate attorneys, such as Juan Hernandez. Juan Hernandez is part of the 2% of Texas attorneys who are Texas-board certified in personal injury law. With dedication, experience, and knowledge like that, you can be reassured that we have your back. Contact our team today to learn more about our no-win, no-fee policy, schedule a free consultation, and find out why more and more drivers are looking to the Hernandez Law Group, P.C. for aid in getting the compensation they deserve.